Our Responsibilities as a Local Governing Board
"I became a Foundation Governor in October 2021 and in September 2022 took over as Chair of the Local Governing Body. My working background is in Financial Services and I endeavour to use the varied experiences I obtained through my working life to add to the skill sets which exist in the talented and dedicated team of staff members at St Thomas. In conjunction with the staff, both myself and the other Governors strive to deliver an outstanding catholic education to all pupils in the school".
Mr David Lang, Chair of Local Governing Board
Mr Jerry Walsh, Vice Chair of Local Governing Board
As a Local Governing Board, we have a collective responsibility to work with the school to ensure it delivers a high quality education for our pupils. Working with the head teacher, we commit to the objectives of the School Improvement Plan to make sure the pupils are able to achieve to the best of their ability within a secure and happy environment.
An effective school will always challenge itself to ensure it maintains high standards and continues to drive excellent results. How have we, as governors of St Thomas of Canterbury School, made a difference?
- Developed the feedback process, giving parents and pupils a "voice" by instigating an annual Parent Questionnaire, Pupil Questionnaire and Year 6 Leavers' Interview
- Improvements in communication to all stakeholders via our new school website and newsletter
- Successfully securing grants to carry out essential building works to maintain a safe environment for pupils and staff
Our role, as Governors, is to fulfil three key strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
We focus on the central issues lying at the heart of school improvement by promoting:
- the school's religious ethos, its values and culture
- high standards of educational achievement by monitoring the quality of teaching and the progress of all pupils